Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A true day of fishing

To be honest, I haven't been fishing in over 50 years.  And the days I remember of fishing were halcyon with memories of the joy of catching a fish.  Actually my memory was that I was pretty good at it, whether I really was, who knows.  A kid's memory can play tricks on her!

Walt remembered a wonderful place just below Tenkiller Dam, within sight of it, and so we set off trying to find it.  We arrive with another couple holding forth and a so-so report on the fishing luck, but we decide to stay.

After a while a family - father, mother and daughter - show up and they obviously know what they are doing....either they are local or just lucky.  Walt decides he needs to go get something more to fish with.  I'm targeted on catching a fish or else.  We're leaving this weekend, and I guess I thought this was a matter of pride.  Who knows.

In a very short while the father has some hits on his line.  This is the most action I've seen in a week, so I'm interested and we start chatting about bait, lures, locations, etc., and turns out he is local and knows exactly what he's doing.  Not only does he know what he's doing, but so does his daughter.
 Just a few casts into the water, and he has not only a bite but a catch!


 It's obviously all in the family, as his daughter picks up right where dad left off.


 And she's not about to let it go!


 And what are dads for but to get the icky thing off the line!


 And stand by to hold the fish for the final awards photo!!!

The fisherman says as soon as the Tenkiller starts "generating" they will release water and once the stream is going we will all be guaranteed bites.....
 And true to his word, the fish start biting and Walt has his first catch - a nice rainbow trout.
 Walt cleans, and I cook - we ended up with three (actually four, and yes I reeled it in and was so excited that it got away!!! - It really did!)
But not to fear.  The day ended well!

No comments: