Friday, December 28, 2018

Wile E. Coyote

I'm a rancher's daughter and for years I felt that coyotes were the personification of the worse animal on the universe, and I still they can be devastating to the rancher.  They can kill, damage and maim a rancher's profit in no time. 

At the same time, they are so dang intoxicating that it's hard to avoid them.  When we are out in the wild and meet up with one, I instantly am charmed. 

This little guy was in a very wide draw that crossed our road.  He walked right in front of us then stopped in this draw.
 Whenever this happens these animals always have a look on their face like "Are you a carnivore?  So am I.  Maybe we should hunt together!" 
 I can totally see how ancient man would not only be drawn to this animal, but want him to be a part of his pack.  And as far as the coyote is concerned, it's a good deal for him, as he can get the leftovers from the human's meal - better than having to hunt alone for his daily meal!
 Alas, as much as I would love to make friends with these guys, they are in the wild and to domesticate them or even try would kill them (or me!), so I have to admire from afar.  And pretty soon they get bored with looking and asking us for answers when there are no answers forthcoming....then it's time to check out!
Coyotes mate for life, and this one had his mate he was actually waiting for and after they caught up with each other, they decided we were boring (we had no food), and off they went!

No comments: